If you live near Springfield Missouri or are traveling through the area you might want to consider a visit to beautiful Fellows Lake. Located 10 miles north of Springfield near Highway 65, Fellows Lake is a 820-acre water supply reservoir owned by City Utilities of Springfield. It was formed when the Little Sac River was dammed in 1955. This earthen dam was then later modified in 1991 Fellows Lake provides the Springfield area with some excellent recreational opportunities such as sail boating, fishing, picnicking, water fowl hunting and boating.
Fellows Lake is a great place to hike, ride, sail, paddle and fish! Every weekend, hundreds of outdoor enthusiasts make the short drive to this hidden gem of the Ozarks.
Today, Fellows Lake continues to work with City Utilities and many other partners making improvements and expanding programs both on and off the water:
- Over 25 miles of new hiking and mountain biking trails
- The new safe and ADA accessible dock is completed and open for business
- We rent canoes, kayaks, three fishing boats, two pontoon boats and, now, sailboats!
- The Springfield Sailing Club is up and running with lessons, regattas and social events.
- The Fellows Lake Store is located at the top of the hill from the dock and is open seven days a week from sunrise to sunset March 1 – October 31st. Stocking drinks, snacks, light tackle and worms, stop in to get your boat permits or rent a boat and trade Fellows Lake stories with the staff!
Fishing Fellows Lake
The lake is most known for its Muskellunge (Muskie) habitat. The lake is becoming one of southern Missouri’s premier Muskellunge fisheries with Muskies approaching 50 inches being occasionally caught.
There is also a good population of large mouth bass and the walleye fishing should be good as well. Catfish and crappie help finish this off as a well rounded fishery. There is a handicap accessible dock on the northeast arm of the lake for anglers with disabilities. There are two major boat docks and one year-round marina for boat storage. There is a 40 hp boat motor restriction and an annual boat permit is required before launching any watercraft. These permits can be purchased at the boat marina.
Hunting Fellows Lake
Fellows Lake offers an opportunity for duck hunters to test their skill and bag some birds. Hunting is permitted on the south arm of the lake and their are blinds available on a first come first serve basis.
Family Friendly Springfield Location
Fellows Lake provides the Springfield area with a multitude of public areas for a great picnic or barbecue, or just a place to gather with friends. There is a park that surrounds the lake to the north that houses a large pavilion with a large open grass area perfect for flying kites. A small 50 yard remote airplane field is located about one mile north of the lake and is run by the Springfield RC Club. Consider Fellows Lake for your next family outing or fishing get-a-way!